Milam Elementary School (Tupelo Public Schools) with TVA and AEE. Launching Leaders is a program that fosters leadership characteristics such as courage, confidence, prioritizing, goal-setting, networking, and self-reflection.
The Launching Leaders program is an eight-session program that meets during the school day. The program strives to:
- Identify diverse leadership potential in students
- Apply the characteristics of positive leadership
- Provide career information;
- Promote self-esteem and a sense of community purpose;
- Give students an opportunity to observe government leaders in action at the local level and in the State Legislature;
- Promote positive examples in the school setting and beyond; and
- Prepare students of today to be leaders of tomorrow.
Approximately 15% of the students at Milam participate in the leadership program.