George Elementary (Jackson Public Schools) and Colonial Heights Baptist Church, Fondren Presbyterian Church, Word of Life Outreach Ministries - Increased community interaction to improve academic performance
Students impacted: 156
Volunteers: CHBC - 80+; FPC - 200; WOL - 300+
Duration of partnership: CHBC - 14 years; FPC- 34 years; WOL - 2 years
Improving school and student achievement involves not only a focus on academics but on the student as a whole. In their quest to enhance the lives of students, parents and staff, George Elementary partners volunteer in various capacities. They not only use their capital to provide needed instructional materials for students and staff, but they also give their time, energy and ideas to increase developmental opportunities for students.
Understanding that a partnership requires action on both sides, George Elementary ensures that the school does its part to support partners. The school building and its resources are available to partners during the school year and summer break. Staff and students show their appreciation for partners by hosting an Adopter Appreciation Program in which partners receive numerous tokens of appreciation created by students.
• Book Buddy Team reading volunteers
• Donations of school uniforms, clothing, coats
• Reading Is Not a Trick, It’s a Treat Day
• Reading fairs
• Dove Tree gifts for Christmas
• Most Outstanding Student award activities
• George Elementary is one of the top four highest-rated schools in Mississippi for student achievement on MCT2.
• Improvement of test scores in English Language Arts (26% to 29% at or above 50th percentile) and Math (44% to 53% at or above 50th percentile)