Mississippi Council on Economic Education and all state school districts - Providing resources and training to public and private K-12 teachers to improve economic and financial literacy
Students impacted: 95,600
Duration of partnership: 13 years
The mission of the Mississippi Council on Economic Education is to increase economic and financial literacy by providing resources and training to public and private K-12 teachers. The goal is to empower students to create a more prosperous future for themselves and Mississippi by making better-informed financial decisions throughout their lives.
The Council trains teachers to be proficient in teaching students about economic and financial literacy, as well as entrepreneurial education. To deliver teacher training, the Council works with the national Council for Economic Education, Mississippi Department of Education, Centers on Economic Education, and additional partners in the education and business communities throughout the state. The Council also uses a network of college and university centers to deliver professional development for teachers.
• College Knowledge Project for teachers and counselors
• Economics Challenge and Finance Challenge for student teams to compete for scholarships
• Focus on the Economy two-day teacher conference
• International Economic Summit world-market simulation
• Master Teacher of Economics/Entrepreneurship training
• Stock Market Game to teach basics of investing
• TEAM (Treasurers Education About Money) trains teachers in financial literacy skills
• $16,500 awarded in post-secondary scholarships.
• Students who play Stock Market Game significantly outperform others in mathematics and investor knowledge tests
• Student test scores on economics improved 87% after receiving instruction
• 6th graders: 140% increase in financial literacy scores
• 7th graders- 51% increase in financial literacy scores