Hattiesburg High School and William Carey University - Increasing student achievement and college readiness skills for graduation
Students impacted: 200
Duration of partnership: 3 years
For the third consecutive year, William Carey University partnered with Hattiesburg High School to offer an ACT and
college preparatory program that included scholarships for students attending all program sessions. Sessions were led by
members of Carey's Presidential Honors Program, a group of top students selected for their academic excellence, and representatives from the Office of Admissions. Sessions focus on English, writing, mathematics and science along with practical information on applying for college, improving ACT scores, seeking financial aid and having a successful collegiate career.
- Spring and fall ACT/college prep sessions
- More than 50 students participated in the program
- Campus tours of William Carey University and scholarship presentations - bus transportation and lunch provided
- Carey Scholars tutor students and give pointers about ACT and college readiness.
- 43% of students tested in December 2015 are eligible to attend a Mississippi university
- 100% of students scored well enough to attend a community college in Mississippi
- $4,000 scholarships awarded to WCU in 2015.