McComb School District and the Town of Summit, City of McComb - “Next-Generation Ready" strategic plan to develop student-centered learning school model
Students impacted: 250
Duration of partnership: 2 years
A Strategic Planning Working Group comprising 38 members was formed to develop recommendations for transforming the McComb School District. They identified goals, objectives and key activities to elevate district performance and status and
developed a model school to be located at the Summit School facility. In August 2015, McComb School District opened the
doors to its first student-centered learning school model which is serving approximately 250 students in K-4.
- Community conversation held about the future of public education in McComb
- 110-minute session with 28 business leaders was held, in which business leaders identified district priorities
- Three surveys — a baseline survey, one for members of the Strategic Planning Working Group and a survey directed at business leaders — were conducted with key stakeholders on recommendations for strategic priorities.
- Teachers empowered through access to best-in-class resources
- Online platform gives teachers access to state-of-the-art web-based systems to track student progress and adjust classes and teaching styles to meet needs of diverse learners
- Allows constructive disruption to traditional public school, shifting away from a one-size-fits-all approach
- Learning platform allows personalization of each student’s learning experience
- 1:1 Technology Initiative for PreK-3 classes provides every student with a mobile device